Saturday, January 14, 2017

Static Electricity ~OR~ Rule 5 Woodsterman Style


Static Electricity

                 In my continuing effort to educate...
Just the other day a friend and I were walking through a local restaurant when he touched a door knob and got shocked by static electricity. He turned to me and said," Damn, I wish someone   would explain that static electricity to me."
       So I did: and here is my explanation - especially for my non-engineering friends .  Static electricity is an imbalance of electric charges within or on the surface of a material.  The charge remains until it is able to move away by means of an electric current or electrical discharge.  For modeling the effect of static discharge on   sensitive electronic devices, a human being is represented   as a capacitor of 100 Pico farads, charged to a voltage of 4,000 to 35,000 volts.   When the human touches an object, this energy is discharged in less than a microsecond:


Are you still having a little trouble understanding this? 
If so, the next photo may help.
 

Scroll down. 





Thanks Hal 

I'm late because snow removal and my birthday celebration. 

Other Clingy Rule 5 ers:

16 comments:

  1. Okay, I think I understand now.

    Have a fabulous day Odie. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs Liebenauer, could you do that demonstration again?

    Without underwear?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, Odie and may you have many more........

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm shocked, shocked would would display such images on this wholesome site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Before I forget, happy birthday! They come far too often these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shocking! That you'd admit having another birthday, that is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy, happy, Odie! Sorry about the frozen crap. We're getting pretty clear of snow here, finally, but I'm still getting tired of the frozen lungs from working outside. Thinking about taking up smoking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The best! I'm linking you up for Rule 5 right now, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Proof, I did but only at Facebook. Should I advertise my 70th (ouch) birthday here?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grunt, thank You! I worked outside here for close to 25 years and I survived.

    ReplyDelete

Put it here ... I can't wait to read it. I have the Captcha turned OFF but blogger insists it be there. You should be able to bypass it.

*** Moderation has been added due to Spam and a Commenter a little too caustic. I welcome comments, but talk of killing and racist (or even close to racist) are not welcome.