Sunday, October 13, 2019

Ice Cream



A friend told me about his trip out with his grandson. This is what he said. “Last week, I took my grandchildren to a restaurant. My 6 year-old grandson asked if he could say grace.”

As we bowed our heads he said, “God is good, God is great. Thank you for the food and I would thank you even more if Grandpa gets us ice cream for dessert. And liberty, peace & justice for all. Amen!”

Along with the laughter and nodding of heads from the other customers nearby, I heard a woman at the next table remark, “That’s what’s wrong with this country. Kids today don’t even know how to pray. Asking God for ice cream! Why — I never!”

Hearing this, my grandson burst into tears and asked me, “Did I do it wrong Grandpa? Is God mad at me?”

After I assured him that he had done a terrific job and that God was certainly not mad at him, an elderly gentleman approached the table. He winked at my grandson and said, “I happen to know that God thought that was a great prayer.”

“Really?” my grandson asked.

“Cross my heart,” the man replied. Then, in a theatrical whisper, he added (indicating the woman whose remark had started this whole thing), “Too bad she never asks God for ice cream. A little ice cream is sometimes good for the soul.”

Naturally, I bought my grandchildren ice cream at the end of the meal My grandson stared at his ice cream for a moment, and then he did something I will remember the rest of my life. He picked up his sundae and, without a word, walked over and placed it in front of the woman.

With a big smile he looked her in the eye and told her, “Here ma’am, this is for you, you grouchy old bitch. You must be a Democrat, shove it up your ass and cool off!”

Kinda brings a tear to your eye, doesn’t it?

Thanks Jim

10 comments:

  1. Actually, I am on the grouchy old bitch's side. Really? You ask the supreme being for ice cream? And you think it's cute? You are raising a self-entitled brat. You are part of the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. edutcher, I agree but the one below you has a problem with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dead Messenger, sorry you feel that way. Some of us can laugh and some forgot how.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, Odie, I think I would have ended that story somewhat differently. Maybe the kid on his way over to the grouchy old bitch with the ice cream would stumble and it would slop all over her expensive Sunday dress, and then the kid would say "________________________________."

    I'm still working on the punch line, but I'm sure you won't like it as much as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fredd, You're right. I can think of many endings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved it. Some people will have a problem with anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris, I retyped my comment to above many times, and decided to be slightly civil.

    ReplyDelete

Put it here ... I can't wait to read it. I have the Captcha turned OFF but blogger insists it be there. You should be able to bypass it.

*** Moderation has been added due to Spam and a Commenter a little too caustic. I welcome comments, but talk of killing and racist (or even close to racist) are not welcome.