Saturday, April 10, 2010

From a guy in Florida :

My neighbor is a "lefty" of sorts (Obama bumper stickers, gung-ho
socialized medicine, "guns should be banned", etc.).  So this past spring
I put this sign up in my yard after one of his anti-gun rants at a 

neighborhood cocktail party.  The sign wasn't up more than an hour
before he called the police and wanted them to make me take down 
the sign.  Fortunately, the officer politely informed him that it was not 
their job to take such action without a court order and that he
had to file a complaint "downtown" first, which would be reviewed 

by the city attorney to see if it violated any city, county, or state 
ordinances, which if there was a violation a court order would be 
sent to the offending party (me) to "remove the sign in seven days".  
After several weeks he was informed that the sign was legal (by a 

quarter of an inch) and there was nothing the city could do, which 
obviously made him madder.  I tried to smooth things over
by inviting him to go shooting with me and my friends at the hunt 

club but that seemed to make him even more angry.  I then asked 
him if he wanted to go to a Tea Party rally but again he declined 
my outreach efforts to bring about a better understanding between 
political and social opponents. I am at a loss how to reconcile our 
long relationship (notice I did not say friendship), any suggestions 
would be welcome. Maybe I'll ask him if he wants to go deer 
hunting, which opens up November First, you know, just a bunch 
of guys running through the woods chasing Bambi, then sitting 
around the campfire roasting marshmallows, drinking beer, and 
singing our favorite country songs to the accompaniment of Jake's
harmonica (he is a better lawyer than a harmonica player but don't 
tell him I told you).  I even made him a bumper sticker and that
made him madder than he already was! Anyway, that's life in our 
neck of the woods, how about yours? 



8 comments:

  1. What a great sense of humor! THis story wsa too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish that was about me and my neighbor, but it wasn't Will See. It sure does give me ideas if I were to ever get a neighbor like the gun hater. My neighbors and I are all like "The Guy From Florida".

    ReplyDelete
  3. After readindg Virtual Mirage today, I think the wacko lefty neighbor should move to Arizona!

    Great sign. Can't understand why the guy's upset.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great sign. But ROCKING azaleas!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a good story. I agree with Opie, what a beautiful front yard display.....and the flowers rock too...hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Velcro, The sign makes perfect sense to me. It's great protection without firing a shoot. After all, ammo is getting very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right Opie, but don't you think the Azaleas should be trimmed back a bit at the walkway ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW, we're both commenting at the same time, Bunni. I agree, those flowers are great backdrop to the sign.

    ReplyDelete

Put it here ... I can't wait to read it. I have the Captcha turned OFF but blogger insists it be there. You should be able to bypass it.

*** Moderation has been added due to Spam and a Commenter a little too caustic. I welcome comments, but talk of killing and racist (or even close to racist) are not welcome.